Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Class #2 To Doula or Not To Doula? by Mama to be, Abby Jordan

Our second class at Baby Love Birth Services flew by! Before we knew it, it was over. This class was all about the three stages of labor. I think Scott and I were so enamored by all that was going on that we didn't realize how much time had passed. I just kept leaning over to him and saying, "Write that down!" When is it okay to take a bath? What should I do in between contractions? When should we go to the hospital? I think I was more worried about if he would remember all these things for me. There's so much that goes into what the coach needs to know that I'm worried he is going to be just as scared as me and not remember some of the simple steps and techniques that we learned tonight.

Since becoming pregnant I have never really thought about using a Doula. My main concern has always been about this being an experience for my husband and I to share. I bought him a book on husband coached labor etc. I honestly thought a Doula would get in the way of the experience we were sharing together. As we went through the class last night it dawned on me that not only would a Doula ease my mind but she would really take the pressure off of my husband. She would do all of the guiding and let us focus on each other and the experience. It's funny to me now thinking that she would take away from the experience. We are going to be in a hospital with lots of unfamiliar faces. Bringing along another familiar face could only ease my mind more.

My husband and I still have some talking to do to figure out what is going to be best for us. We are still not quite sure if we are going to have a Doula but I definitely understand the benefits and would recommend at least looking into what a Doula assisted birth might be all about.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not gonna lie....when I took this class with Kristi at Lakeside in 2008, it turned out I totally did pee my pants (when I sneezed or laughed some time that night). I thought I was leaking fluid! I wasn't sure how to tell the difference. They took me upstairs, admitted me, and 2 hours later sent me home after my test results said "yes, you peed your pants, no, that is not amniotic fluid." Totally humiliating moment. But better to be safe than sorry....? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your journey! I had a doula with the birth of my second child and it was the best decision I made (and Kristi is just that awesome!)! It really did help to have another person there who knew the game and could help me get through it.

    BTW, it is amazing about all there is to learn about birth, huh? Never really ever thought about it before I took classes either! Unfortunately, when I took them back in 2006, I was a bit less educated and didn't look for any alternatives than the hospital's option...

    ReplyDelete