Monday, November 22, 2010

Class 3 = Stick it in!

That's what she said. OK, that's what I said when I was pregnant with my first baby with regard to the epidural. I sat through the childbirth classes and used it as a "moment" for the hubby and I to share in our pregnancy journey and that was it. I totally tuned out the c-section talk because there was no way that would happen to me, and we giggled as he sat behind me squeezing my ample butt in a poor attempt at the double hip squeeze...it was supposed to help me handle contractions, but there was a little secret my childbirth teacher didn't know. I didn't need all that pain management crap since I was getting the epidural the moment I felt my uterus twinge...so THERE!

Induction day arrived and I went into the hospital ready to get the pitocin and epidural package. But to my horror...that bitch nurse made me contract for HOURS without getting the pain relief!! WHY didn't anyone tell me I had to dilate at LEAST until 3 to get it?? Or had she? Who cared...it hurt like hell and all I did was lie in the bed in the fetal position and grab my husband's hand and cry and hiss for "that boy" (AKA the hot resident) who was chatting it up during my contractions (which, by the way, hurt so bad I could ignore his bedroom eyes and curly black hair...OK, I noticed it!) to get the flick out so I could writhe in my own misery without anyone looking at me.

Fast forward to last winter. I decided it was time to teach women that A. Normal Birth is GOOD. (notice I didn't say natural...although that is good, too!) B. If you want a natural and normal birth, it doesn't make you crazy, a martyr, a fool, or any of the other BS people tell you if you dare to say those words. C. You can have a healthier birth WITH an epidural...yes, you heard that right...WITH an epidural. That's what my classes are about. Teaching those that want a normal birth to have one, and those that want an epidural how to do it BETTER than I did and how most women in Omaha do...so the baby and they can have the best start possible.

Ok...that's as serious as I get. Next week we're on to labor rehearsal. OOOOOOH boy..I LOVE it! These mom's and dad's can put the info they've had so far to use!

'Till next week!
K

No comments:

Post a Comment