Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Class #4 Labor Dry Run! by Mama to be, Abby Jordan

How many of you actually acted out what might happen when you went into labor for the first time? I had never heard of such of thing. Well, last night that's exactly what we did. We spent an hour and a half timing contractions, changing positions and being coached by our partners. My husband and I are still on the fence about a doula so this was a very important class for a few reasons. It gave him a chance to practice being my husband during labor and to practice being my coach. It gave me a chance to let go and to let him do the coaching. It also helped us work out some quirks, like breathing and the way he rubs my back.

Labor will be hard enough (so I've heard) as it is but I'm especially scared because I really like to be in control, of every situation. If you know me, you know it's true. I can't help it. So, labor is going to be a tough one for me. We know we really want to try and have our baby the most natural way possible. Mostly, I don't want pitocin and I don't want a c-section. I think I've mentioned this before. Therefore, we signed up for these classes to get a better understanding of the things we can do to help make this happen.

Last night we used ice to simulate the intensity of contractions. First we held onto bags of ice for the length of the contractions, next we had to put our hands in a bowl of ice and by the end we were dipping our hands in ice water. Ouch! Now, I'm sure those of you who have experienced labor thinks this probably pales in comparison to real contractions. I'm sure it does too. This was not to show us the level of pain. We used it to practice with our partners, what they should be doing and NOT doing during the different levels of intensity.

We want to stay at home and labor as long as possible. We want to be comfortable and in our own space. We practiced different positions so we could keep moving and get that baby moving in the right direction too. I really liked the lunge pose and the birth ball. Scott was there to remind me to take sips of water, change positions, rub my back and remind me to breathe. As of now, he's my couch. He really has the biggest responsibility. He has to keep me calm and focused. Eyes on the prize! Afterall, we are getting a baby out of all of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment